BY RACHEL SHULHAFER
Shoni Schimmel is among some pretty good company. In Wednesday night’s 81-62 beat down of Houston, she became just the fifth U of L basketball player to join the 2,000-point club, and only the second woman to do so behind Angel McCoughtry.
Shoni’s 2,000th point came on a free throw, and she now has 2,004 total points. Other than McCoughtry (2,779), men’s basketball legends Darrell Griffith (2,333), DeJuan Wheat (2,183), and Pervis Ellison (2,143) also grace this elite crew with their presence.
Shoni captured a lot of people’s attention during last year’s miracle run to the national title game. With all eyes on her this season, she managed to not only reach the 2,000-point mark, but made several other accomplishments as well:
- Set a record for 3-pointers made in a game with nine against Memphis.
- Program leader for 3-pointers made in career with 361. This means she scored over 1,000 points in 3’s alone.
- Became the fourth player in program history to reach 1,000 points.
- Also became the fourth player in program history to dish out more than 500 assists in her career.
- Candidate for the Naismith Trophy.
I’ve been harping on how great Shoni is since she’s been here, so to see her earn an honor like this is elating. With the most thrilling stretch of basketball season around the corner, the Shoni show isn’t close to being over. She’s one of the best athletes to ever put on a Cardinal uniform, so let’s cherish these last few weeks with her.