Louisville Card File: Providence

Revised 1/11/12 5:11 pm

Frankly I considered the pithy way of dealing with this game. I was going to post a one sentence blog, to wit “This U of L performance is not worthy of comment.”

I have reconsidered, thinking that tack a mite cute, too easy.

The problem of course, is I’m just not sure what to say about that desultory performance.

I cannot recall a more dispirited effort by any U of L team. Ever.

Last blog out, considering the nadir of the Louisville tradition, I mentioned the 12 point loss at Towson State by a 19-14 Cardinal outfit in January ’95. It is no longer the standard.

Rick Pitino’s squad lost by 31 points — allow that number to sink in for a moment: 31 — to the Friars, who stood at 0-4 in league, 11-6 overall, before they turned Louisville into a disheveled, bumbling, stumbling, misfiring, heartless mess.

59-90.

January 10, 2012 is a date in Cardinal history that shall go down in infamy.

* * * * *

There is no reason to look at the numbers. Neither team stats nor individual stats mean a thing.

This team’s psyche has been shattered.

Pitino’s teams normally come out of the holidays with fire. This squad looks burned to a crisp. They were woeful in every aspect of the game during both halves at both ends of the court. Whatever buttons Pitino has pushed to rejeuvenate this torn and frayed group were the wrong ones.

* * * * *

The only pertinent question at this juncture is whether this result is a throwaway, or a harbinger?

The knee jerk analogy is the 57-90 L to Notre Dame by the 31-6 Elite Eight squad of ’08-’09. I don’t buy it.

To me, the best case scenario is the Cards going 6-8 the rest of the regular season, to stand unranked and bubblicious at 19-12 before heading to an opening day game in the Big East tournament.

I hope I’m wrong and just bummed because of tonight’s beatdown, but I honestly don’t see this team as one of the 68 making the NCAA tournament. You can have my seats for that opening round NIT game. I’ll watch from the comfort of my TV room.

* * * * *

I love how Doris Burke has evolved as a color commentator.

She’s still a little tight, but . . .

. . . she knows the game, does her homework, doesn’t mince words and stays focused.

She had two great comments tonight.

With U of L down 17-23: “Providence has a six point lead, but both teams look awful, God’s honest truth.” Louisville got worse. Providence motored.

With U of L down 42-71 at the 7:58 TV timeout in the final half: “I don’t want to be on that U of L plane home, I’ll tell you that.”

* * * * *

Wonder what The Rick would think if we brought in Crit Luallen to do a cost/ benefit analysis of his U of L tenure? I’m thinking it would make Bud Schardein look like Steve Jobs.

Posted January 10, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

You left out Doris calling out Siva.

On his fifth foul she said he is too old to to commit a foul like that. And she said he looked like he wanted to foul out and sit on the bench. Can’t say I’ve ever heard an announcer say something that strong.

Posted January 10, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

I did miss that. But, frankly, by that juncture I too had lost my focus.

3. Birdie King
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 1:54 am | Permalink

Doris has balls !

4. Phil
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 6:53 am | Permalink

Richard Pitino did the post-game interview. He was asked why a team in need of offense wouldn’t give Nunez a few minutes. He answered that Nunez still had a ways to go before he understood the system.
    My response is : other teams seem to find a way for freshmen to thrive in their system (UK)
    so if the system is too complex for our young talent to thrive, maybe WE NEED TO CHANGE THE SYSTEM!

5. Brian
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Opposing teams seem to figure out our system pretty quickly.

6. Big Smooth
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 8:51 am | Permalink

I thought the pre-game coach’s interview on the radio was very strange at the time I heard it. RP said he was going to appear at a half-time celbration of the ’87 Providence team and leave the half-time duties to Junior. Not even going to get in to Junior’s capabilities but I immediately thought what other coach would leave his team at half-time to celebrate with the opposition and what kind of message does that send to your own team. Given the result the message sent was this game is not important. Looks like RP is totally out of touch with his players.

7. doug
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Doris Burke does her homework before games. Her understanding of UL players’ strengths and weaknesses was impressive.

I’m with you on the Notre Dame comparison. This bunch may well suffer thru more than one of these “mystery” games.

And if I was RP’s boss, he WOULD be doing postgame radio and not sending out Jr. I don’t listen to the damn things because I know what he’s going to say, but it frosts me that he ducks and runs. It’s the salary thing again, but he owes fanbase some comment even if it’s the usual BS.

Posted January 11, 2012 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Post game radio:

If he had done it he could have used it to call for Memphis State to be admitted to the BE. And he could have said something to deflect attention from football like when he did the retirement spiel on the day of the bowl game. And he could have said we should stay in the BE for eternity because he likes going to NYC.

My God, is it always about him?

9. bob
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

The Coach did not come out and answer for this loss and lack of effort.

Does that make him have a lack of courage or does he think he is not responsible?

Does anyone have a better explanation?

10. Wildcat
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

I think that I can speak for virtually all UK fans…we do NOT want him back. The man is, in a word, spent.

11. Grammar Police
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

“I have reconsidered, thinking that tact a might cute, too easy.”

I think you meant that “tack” a “mite” cute, too easy.

I too like Doris Burke a lot.

Posted January 11, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

When the Grammar Police intervenes, Seedy K pays attention. Corrections made.

13. D.R Hall
    Posted January 12, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Seedy K- Have you ever done an analysis of RP’s compensation per win over his tenure at UL? I bet its interesting.

Just a thought…

D.R Hall

Posted January 12, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Way too dark and foreboding, that journey.