U of L Athletics’ Greed Knows No Bounds

Got my bill for U of L season football tickets today.

One seat.

Six games.

Three against conference foes Rutgers, Syracuse and Pittsburgh.

Three against this contingent of “big time” programs: Murray State, Florida International and Marshall.

Season cost of ticket itself: $264.

Cost of “scholarship pledge” required to be able to buy ticket: $350.

Handling fee: $10.

Cost per game for 1 ticket: $104.

Just wondering what my economics prof would conclude after putting that bit of info through a cost/ benefit analysis? (By the by, my college econ prof was Carl Abner, who loved the Cards. My guess is he’s turning over in his grave.)

I’m wondering at what point U of L fans — nay, college sports fans across the land — will say “enough is enough?” At what point will they get up out of their chairs, go and raise their windows, and shout at the top of their lungs, “We’re mad as hell and we’re not going to take it anymore?”

1. Todd
    Posted April 4, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Agreed. I’m not sure I’m going to renew this year. I hate to lose my seats, but that’s too much money for Murray State, Florida International and Marshall.

2. Wildcat
    Posted April 4, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

The truth is they are selling an experience. In Jurich’s mind, and the mind of most in his position, he is selling entertainment and you are going to buy so you don’t miss the party. That is a obscene price for the crap games he is offering but many(not all) are using this formula to say the season was a success and they get to go bowling. It is a complete fraud but nobody wants to miss the dance. The price for the fiddler will continue to rise for that reason.

Posted April 4, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

UofL isn’t the third most profitable athletic department in the country for nothing.

4. Birdie King
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 1:03 am | Permalink

They’ve got me by the ‘nads and I guess I am just going to have to say, “Please squeeze harder, sir.”

5. ken
    Posted April 6, 2011 at 8:05 am | Permalink

As long as Jurich and crew can sell advertising time to companies, assuring them of a captive (if not sober) market who are qualified consumers (based on willingness and ability to foot the price of admission) , I will guess that he will continue to tests the waters and increase the cost of attendance. I can only assume he thinks all the between action advertisements are entertaining

6. James Bickers
    Posted April 6, 2011 at 9:48 am | Permalink

This is nothing to do with sports, but as you know Chuck, I spent several hours in the Yum center last night for the first time, watching the greatest rock band of all time. And I’ve gotta say, it’s going to take something spectacular to make me ever want to go back. Got vertigo just looking at the nosebleed seats. Add to that the $6 beer and the stupidly expensive food, and you have an experience that simply cannot scale for most people. I can afford to go once in a while, but you had better believe I’ll have to be choosier about which shows I attend, and will attend far fewer as a result.

I can’t imagine what it must feel like to be a U of L sports fan. I would imagine it feels like a giant middle finger extended right in your face, from the organization you’ve been faithfully supporting all those years.

7. cassia herron
    Posted April 6, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

this is why chris webber refused to appear on that documentary about the fab 5. he is still and should be pissed off that he caught a case because somebody other than NCAA or Univ of Michigan – my alma mater i might add – gave enough about he and other athletes to give them a hand up when after devoting their talents and skills to the university, came out hungry. now i would agree that webber should have stayed in school, but i degree means nothing if you are headed to the league and broke. college athletes should be paid more than scholarship money w/room and board – on the books!! then an overpriced ticket to an overpriced arena may mean something.

8. doug
    Posted April 6, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Seedy, my “Network” moment, sad to say, may never come to be. Wanna bet I couldn’t get into everyone of those 6 games this year for less than $50? That’s $50 for ALL games. The true value of tickets is apparent evey home game when the scalpers are giving them away.
    The hook in my mouth gets a little more painful every season.

9. Charles McAdams
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Answer, women’s sports. Four season tickets for women’s basketball and four for volleyball. Total, about 400 dollars and both programs are top notch.