When in Need, Here are the U of L Cards I’d Call

Just thinking about what Louisville Cardinal basketballers I’d want in certain situations?

Need a rebound? Wes Unseld.

Need to take a charge? Mike Lawhon.

Need a free throw to win a game late? Tie, Milt Wagner and Jerry King.

Need a trey to turn a game around or win it? Tie, Taquan Dean and DeJuan Wheat.

Need to straighten the coach’s tie? Francisco Garcia.

Need to go on the floor for a loose ball? B.J. Flynn.

Need a steal? Tick Rogers.

Need to come up big in Madison Square Garden? Phil Rollins.

Need to catch an opponent’s full court pass three feet away? Derek Smith.

Need an assist? LaBradford Smith.

Need a great one-man recruiting class for 3 Final Fours? Rodney McCray.

Need to bait an opponent? Al Vilcheck.

Need to prove the boo birds totally wrong? Billy Thompson.

Need a shot blocked? Pervis Ellison.

Need an offensive rebound and put back? Herbert Crook.

Need a full court pass? Wes Cox.

Need a guard to post up? Jim Price.

Need a critical air ball assist? Jeff Hall.

Need a bounce pass assist from the pivot? Bud Olsen.

Need to lead a comeback in the tournament? Larry O’Bannon.

Need to come up huge against arch rival on New Year’s Day? Samaki Walker.

Need to man up in the middle? Ellis Myles.

Need a Hail Mary at crunch time? Tie. Marvin Selvy and Keith LeGree.

Need a player sporting a Kid ‘n’ Play crown? Cornelius Holden.

Need a spot up jumper on an inbounds play? Allen Murphy.

Need some clamp down defense? Brandon Jenkins.

Need a jumper from the corner to beat an in-state rival? Ron Rubenstein.

Need to jive talk an opponent at the charity line? Larry Williams.

Need to catch the midcourt outlet and get it to the hole? Butch Beard.

Need a defensive signal caller? David Padgett.

Need to keep jumping until the rebound is secure? Charles Jones.

Need to take charge in biggest game ever against arch rival? Lancaster Gordon.

Need a point guard to run the show? Phil Bond.

Need to will the team to national title? Darrell Griffith.

Need a coach to adjust to a game situation? Denny Crum.

1. BirdWithTeeth
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

Very nice. How about “Need a triple double?” 1A. Terrence Williams. 1B. Samaki Walker.

Posted November 30, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

If he doesn’t fit any of these catagories you need to create one for Charlie “Ears” Tyra. He was a truly great one.

Posted November 30, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

If you need the cover of the first Street & Smith Basketball Yearbook? Charlie Tyra.

If you need a graduate of J.M. Atherton High School? Tie. Charlie Tyra and Rick Wilson.

4. doug
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Gotta help me with Ron Rubenstein???
    Billy T. shined in the end, but for 3 and 1/2 years, there were many nights I wanted to personally rattle his cage! What a waste of ability. Hope he is doing well today.

Posted November 30, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Rubenstein was a guard in the early 60s. He hit a shot that’s legendary to us oldtimers to beat Eastern Kentucky. I tell the tale in my Freedom Hall story.

Like a lot of kids — athletes and none — Thompson fell prey to getting high. And he was an underachiever for sure. But, hey, a lot of us are. But he did turn it around. We won two titles, and he was a main link for one of them. And he’s turned into an inspirational, responsible adult. I sat right in front of a guy who yelled at Thompson for two years every single time he touched the ball. As if BT were playing bad just to piss the guy off, as a personal affront.

I’ve never seen the guy since, but, if I do . . .

6. Mark
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Full court pass; tie between Wes Cox and Wes Unseld.

Need a diety? Coach Crum.

Posted November 30, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

Ruby —-

My wife and I were in Dallas in ’86 and talked to a UofL supporter who was there from Chicago. The more I looked at him the more I thought of Rubenstein. And I was pretty sure that he too was from Chicago. I asked the guy if he was Ruby. He said no but the way he said it was almost like saying yes. I still wonder.

8. fred
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Need a sport coat? John Dromo

Need a really under appreciated, championship coach who happened to slide under the shadow of a hall of fame coach? Peck Hickman.