Next to Jump Ship at Kentucky????

I’ve had a number of interesting conversations in the last 48 hours with folks who have some perspective and knowledge about the situation at UK viz a viz the NCAA and this Bledsoe thing about which the New York Times — and later, others — have written.

Universally, it is believed that this is just the beginning, the tip of the iceberg so to speak. One legit source, familiar with the passion and paranoia of the Big Blue Nation, said Wildcat fans who think this will all go away without any consequences for UK are “whistling past the graveyard.”

I’ve been told the NCAA is looking into possible shenanigans regarding UK player(s) who were upperclassmen last season.

I’m also wondering if the info related to me that Mitch Barnhart has applied for another job out west is true or simply idle gossip? I dunno. But I do know this. The source who advised me Barnhart did make such a move is one of the people who told me months ago there was a New York Times article coming. And the same source who years ago advised me that Barnhart was going to be hired as UK’s next AD . . . months before Mitch’s predecessor was even canned.

So there ya go. Even the off season is full here in Hoopsylvania.

* * * * *

Those of you who frequent catspause.com, either regularly or only on occasion for kicks, might have seen the thread after the Bledsoe revelations titled “The Source.”

The gist of it is that I was the New York Times’ source for the story.

If only . . . I had the energy to travel to Birmingham to do all those interviews.

Let me issue an absolute and unequivocal denial. I was not the source. Period.

What I mean to say is, really, it wasn’t me.

And for those who are directing their disappointment for any discussion of issues at UK, or U of L, or IU, or . . . well, anywhere . . . by Bozich or Forde or Crawford or Tipton or Clay or Story or me, know this: We are only observers. The true culprits are . . . well, you figure it out.

1. Patrick Whelan
    Posted May 31, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Chuck, if these observers where just sitting on the sideline like you say then we’d have NO story. The NCAA has reviewed and cleared. Twice. Yet the MEDIA keep digging and digging. So the NCAA will review some more. Until someone is satisfied. The NCAA may be satisfied at some point but the MEDIA will never be until there is ONE result. Hang him or burn him!!!! The witch hunt continues….

2. fred
    Posted May 31, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

While making no direct comparison, if the media didn’t keep digging, we would never have known about Watergate. That’s what the media does: it reports what it knows, hears and discovers after lots of legwork to find corroborating sources. My take is the The New York Times has too much at stake to just make stuff up. That’s why the writer of this blog says “sources tell me” instead of “I think” or “I imagine.” Personally, I think the NCAA is the biggest kangeroo court in the country but sometimes they serve a purpose. After all the problems they’ve had, the athletic compliance people at Kentucky know exactly what the rules are.

3. Wow
    Posted May 31, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

This author as well as the LEO have become a POS.

4. Wow
    Posted May 31, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Well MY source tells me your a flaming jackass Kaplan, so there you go.

5. keith
    Posted May 31, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

wow! what a gutless ” reporter” you are quick to point out you arent the source, but more then happy to spread rumors.
    you are a gutless, chicken shit blogger who just loves to stir the pot

6. The Mose
    Posted May 31, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

‘Vis-a-vis’ not ‘viz-a-viz.’ Moron.

7. Bill Barber
    Posted May 31, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Why does your banner say ‘More balls than you can count’ if you’re going to hide behind a pseudonym? How many balls does that take? If the LEO ever wants to be taken seriously as a journalistic endeavor, it has to rid itself of this sort of laughable rumor-mongering by an author with carte blanche to make up whatever he pleases, knowing he’ll never have to answer for any of it. A little investigation reveals there’s nothing to this story, but that might actually take a little work.

8. Your mama
    Posted May 31, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

When is the LEO going to leap into the arena of respected journalism and stop allowing this fool to make up shit and pretend its fact? More balls than you can count? Yea, takes lots of balls to hide behind a pseudonym. Just because you heard something at the Cardinal Cafe doen’t mean its true dumbass.

9. katsmommie
    Posted May 31, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Pat Forde is behind all of this. Thinks if he gets Calipari somehow it’ll save Rick. Rick Pitino is washed up. No matter what happens with Cal. Though I’m betting what happens with Cal is that he absolutely destroys Pitino next year in the Cards new arena. By the way, it’s been no secret that Barnhardt has wanted out of Kentucky for a couple of years. Not really insider info. LMAO. Between Gillispie and not getting along with Cal. Not to mention Mitch being pulled off basketball…. Is Barnhardt seeking a position elsewhere really that shocking? I’m also betting this stuff never goes away as long as Cal is at UK. Easy bet to make when it’s clear there’s a witch hunt on. By the Forde tried digging around on Demarcus also and again came up empty. Pathetic.

10. Charlie
    Posted May 31, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Keep that source happy, C.D.

11. Joahkim
    Posted May 31, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

Sources my ass. Keep talkin shit you fuckin’ coward. Your time is gonna come (apologies to Led Zeppelin).

12. Gabe
    Posted June 1, 2010 at 1:53 am | Permalink

YOUR MAMA seems to be a hypocrite b/c he/she does not divulge her/his real name either. But excuse me, is ‘YOUR MAMA’ your name, or is that a pseudonym? B/c if it is than, my apologies. You see, my name is not Gabe, but it is actually UP YOURS. I know…what a cruel name for a child. Well…at least I am a UL fan. God is merciful in some ways.

13. unclebart
    Posted June 1, 2010 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Suggesting that LEO or Seedy K are not respectable journalists because they refuse to reveal their sources is simply asinine. After all, it is the New York Times (a.k.a. ‘the paper of record) who is the one doing the actual reporting. For those of you new to media outside of Fayette County, the term paper-of-record refers to the paper broadly thought to have the highest reputation for journalistic merit in the country. This is a blog. Do you see the editors of LEO running a story in print founded solely on rumors postulated by “sources”? No you don’t.

14. JJ
    Posted June 1, 2010 at 9:36 am | Permalink

The clown car pulls up and all the BLUENECKS come tumbling out right on cue….

15. D
    Posted June 1, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Don’t take it personally K. Most Kentucky fans are really struggling with the first two steps of acceptance.

16. Jason Puckett
    Posted June 1, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Oopsy Cat fans…never good to get into Finebaum’s cross-hairs:

17. Ed
    Posted June 1, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Awww, poor kitten fans. You all know what is coming.

18. pdiggs
    Posted June 3, 2010 at 12:34 am | Permalink

I guess you are all also aware of the scrutiny the Times is under in the wold of journalism for this story. It has nothing to with UK why people are upset. writers all over the country are taking shots at the times. They didnt report anything!! The got a person that says rent was paid from bledsoe’s aau coach in cash. the coach says no. its a he said/she said story. Then they insinuate after they got a copy of bledsoe’s transcript that bledsoe got some sort of special benefit to his grades. bledsoe was investigated by the ncaa and cleared. The times produced a story with NO facts. I am surprised it was published, and so are journalists around the country. If you would like me to post links or exurbs….please ask.

19. I have a clue 'cause I don't wear blue
    Posted June 3, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

If Calipari had taken a job anywhere else all the pinheads that have posted in his defense above would have said he’s getting what’s coming to him. But in the land of win at all costs (as long as it’s us doing the cheating) it’s a witch hunt. Poor Cal!! Good God. There’s never been a bigger group of hypocrites.