U of L’s Next Coach

And I’m not talking football, but the sport that was, is and always will be #1 in the Land o’ Red & Black: Basketball.

My source is a person of reasonable reliability with no reason to pass along anything so spicy unless he/ she believed it was with merit, a person who has been part of the U of L athletic hierarchy in the recent past.

As the rumor goes, Rick Pitino will coach two more seasons at U of L, the last one in Freedom Hall and the first one in No Name Yet Hall. Then he will retire, paving the way for his long time protégé, Billy “The Kid” Donovan.

The source advises that the deal was cut when Donovan was in contact with UK about the position after Billy Clyde Gillispie was fired and before John Calipari was hired. That Donovan had by several accounts advised UK he was interested, but before agreeing, contacted Pitino with whom he always confides and came away convinced that Lexington was not the place for him. Donovan, while happy at Florida, is said to realize that hoops will always be the second banana in Gainesville.

I’m told that the move of Richard Pitino to Donovan’s Gator staff is all part of the plan.

So, there you have it. Monday night is not just about football.

1. Nick Wise
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 11:19 am | Permalink

protoge’?

really?

don’t you use a spell check?

2. Charlie Springer
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

I think Don is just pulling your chain.

Posted September 29, 2009 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Nick, thanks for the spelling correction. I was so anxious to get this juicy morsel online, my editing standards, as low as they usually are, went completely out the window.

Charlie, I have no idea what Don you may be referring to, but he’s not my source. While it may turn out to be a totally bogus rumor, my source was serious. By the by, I see you used my phrase “mired in mediocrity” in your blog. Always flattering.

4. Doctor Dunkenstein
    Posted September 30, 2009 at 9:14 am | Permalink

This is wishful thinking, at best, on the part of your source. The only way Donavan is coaching anywhere in KY is if the climate changes dramatically and it becomes 85 and sunny 10 months out of the year. “The Kid” already knows he can get $5 mil a year in Orlando to coach pro ball. If Slick melts down this year or next, it will be Ralph at the helm.

5. love the cards
    Posted September 30, 2009 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

this would be awesome.

6. Coach Training
    Posted March 27, 2010 at 5:25 am | Permalink

Often times coach training programs teach you the theory and even the skill but leave you hanging when it comes to business development. Make sure your coach training program offers some coach business building and marketing skills too….nice post and thanks for sharing,